Burnishing the Brightest Stars
« CTY Executive Director Elaine Tuttle Hansen
CTY leaders reflect on our past and envision our future.
On an afternoon in late July, Elaine Tuttle Hansen strides across the campus of Dickinson College stopping often to take in the scene. It is her first visit to the CTY Summer Programs site in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the new executive director of CTY is captivated by what she sees.
Sixty CTYers race across the grass past a cluster of residential assistants dressed as penguins in a puzzling game described by a staffer as “kind of like Capture the Flag only with bananas and penguins.” A round of Ultimate Cantaloupe, in which players toss ripe melons instead of Frisbees, is about to begin. The air is filled with shouts of encouragement, the thunk of playground balls, and the scraping of sidewalk chalk against asphalt.Continued
Elaine Tuttle Hansen, Executive Director, CTY
- President, Bates College, 2002–2011
- Provost, Haverford College, 1995–2002
- Professor of English, Haverford College, 1980–2002
- Assistant Professor of English, Hamilton College, 1978–1980
- Author, Reading Wisdom in Old English Poetry (University of Toronto Press, 1988); Chaucer and the Fictions of Gender (University of California Press, 1992); and Mother Without Child: Contemporary Fiction and the Crisis of Motherhood (University of California Press, 1997)
- Ph.D. University of Washington, M.A. University of Minnesota, A.B. Mount Holyoke College
- Board Member, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching